It’s very important to make sure your face is thoroughly cleansed from any impurities. Throughout the day, you collect debris, sweat & dirt; however, you also collect oil-based impurities like make-up and sebum. Double cleansing ensures that you are thoroughly cleansing away a days worth of oil & water-based impurities! Implementing this type of cleansing into my skincare routine was a game changer for me. My skincare products were getting absorbed faster and my acne breakouts were lessened.
So why is it important to do a 2 step cleanse?
- Step 1: Oil cleansing (can be in solid or liquid form), which is a very crucial step if you wear make-up and/or sunscreen. With the knowledge that oil attracts oil, cleansing with oil first will help melt oil-based impurities like make-up and sebum (oily secretion from our pores). This first step is also very nourishing & doesn’t strip away natural oils from our skin.
- Step 2: Clean with a water-based cleanser to make sure all the water-based impurities like dirt, sweat, and debris is washed off. The second cleanse cleans deeper into the skin. Also, whatever dirt was not removed from oil cleansing –can be removed in this step. It is important to choose a water-based cleanser that is a low pH, since our skin is an acid mantle (an acidic thin layer that is about a pH of 5.5); hence, keeping the skin pH balanced.
To start your journey to more supple, clean skin, here is a step by step guide of how to properly double cleanse:
- Start with clean hands (wash your hands thoroughly with soap).
- Using dry hands and dry face, apply 2-3 pumps of cleansing oil (or a cleansing balm if that’s your cup of tea!) & massage the oil gently into face for at least 30-45 seconds. This step helps melt make-up & sunscreen. *Using dry hands is key because the dry cleansing oil or balm will attract the oil-based impurities/ dirt.
- Add some water to face and continue massaging face (this step is called emulsification), then rinse.
- Then follow with your choice of water-based face cleanser (based on your skin-type of course).
- Pat dry your face (no rubbing, which can cause wrinkles) with a clean towel.
The reasons this double-cleansing method was a game-changer for my skin care routine:
- My acne break outs rapidly decreased (since my skin was being properly cleansed from all the impurities, dirt and oils).
- My favorite anti-aging serums were getting absorbed faster –since my pores were not clogged. The results were very apparent and rewarding.
- My skin dullness improved and my complexion was brighter.